Holiday Gift Ideas for Feet of All Ages
Thanksgiving is over, and Chanukah and Christmas are on the way. Are you making your list and checking it twice? Of course, the only stockings in your celebration shouldn’t be the ones hanging by the fireplace! Here are some great ideas from podiatrist Dr. James M. McKee to keep everybody’s feet warm, comfortable, and happy during the holiday season.
- Is there a baby on your list, ready for a first pair of shoes? Those shoes have an important job to do! They’ll support a baby’s insteps and ankles as he takes his first steps. Remember to take him to a specialty shop that carries well-made shoes and where the staff is expert at fitting his feet.
- Are you shopping for growing children? There are lots of trendy new sneakers on the market. Remember that price does not always reflect quality. The best-made athletic shoes will be flexible, yet will support the arches and ankles. Kids outgrow their shoes quickly, and that can lead to ingrown toenails. If possible, take the child with you to ensure a proper fit.
- Adults love all kinds of foot-related gifts. Consider a salon pedicure, but be sure to include a new set of tools with that gift certificate, so your loved one can stay safe from warts and fungal nail infections. Consider a new pair of wool socks. Kids may not think those warm fuzzy socks are much of a gift, but adults will surely appreciate them.
- Pregnant women often deal with edema, a swelling of the feet and ankles. A foot massage will be a most welcome gift. You can get a gift certificate for a professional experience, or do it yourself at home with some quiet music and nice-smelling lotion.
- Many senior citizens live with diabetes, peripheral arterial disease (PAD) or other conditions. A new pair of warm slippers will keep their feet warm and comfortable. Choose a pair with non-stick rubber soles to help keep grandparents at lower risk of dangerous falls.
Of course, the best gift for anyone on your list is the gift of good health. If it’s been awhile since someone you care about has been to the foot doctor, contact us or call 410-224-4448 to schedule an appointment in our comfortable and convenient office on Solomons Island Road in Annapolis, MD. James M. McKee, DPM, FACFAS will provide professional care including a comprehensive examination, expert diagnosis, individualized treatment and thorough follow up.