Summer means long days and warm nights. Many Podiatry Group of Annapolis, P.A. patients are making the most of them with outdoor activities including hiking, biking, jogging, walking, and swimming. Unfortunately, all of that fun comes with an increased risk of foot and ankle injuries and illnesses. Here are five tips from foot doctor James M. McKee, DPM, FACFAS to help you keep your feet safe and healthy:
- Pay attention and stay focused. Set your phone to do not disturb. If you wear headphones, keep the volume low enough for you to hear car horns and other sounds. Keep your eyes on the road or the trail. If you’re out at night, use lights to see and be seen. Many fractures and sprains are the result of preventable falls.
- Your footwear matters. For hiking, choose closed-toe boots that provide excellent arch support. If you’re a runner, your shoes should be replaced every six months or 500 miles, whichever comes first. Shoes with a wide, roomy toe box and a low, chunky heel are best for everyday use. Save your pointy high-heeled shoes for special occasions.
- Make sure your shoes fit. Shoe size changes as we age. Get your feet professionally measured at least once a year.
- Prevent plantar warts and fungal nail infections by always wearing shoes in locker rooms, on pool decks, in hotel rooms, and other places where many people often spend time barefoot. Tuck an inexpensive pair of plastic sandals in your kids’ backpacks before they head to summer camp.
- A healthy weight is important for bone health. Maintain your weight by eating a balanced diet rich in lean protein, colorful fruits and vegetables, and foods such as dairy products, leafy green vegetables, and fish with their bones, all of which are high in calcium and vitamin D.
Do you have a concern about the health or well-being of your feet, ankles, or lower legs? A visit to the podiatrist’s office is in order. With years of experience and specialized training, your foot doctor is the best-qualified medical professional to help you. Click here or call Podiatry Group of Annapolis, P.A. at 410-224-4448 to schedule a convenient appointment with Dr. James M. McKee in our friendly, comfortable office in Annapolis, MD.